Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, December 31, 2007

Review: Color the Sidewalk For Me

Color the Sidewalk For Me
by Brandilyn Collins

As a chalk-fingered child, I had worn my craving for Mama's love on my sleeve. But as I grew, that craving became cloaked in excuses and denial until slowly it sank beneath my skin to lie unheeded but vital, like the sinews of my framework. By the time I was a teenager, I thought the gap between Mama and me could not be wider.

And than Danny came along...


A splendidly colored sidewalk. Six-year-old Celia presented the gift to her mother with pride—and received only anger in return. Why couldn't Mama love her? Years later, when once-in-a-lifetime love found Celia, her mother opposed it. The crushing losses that followed drove Celia, guilt-ridden and grieving, from her Bradleyville home.

Now thirty-five, she must return to nurse her father after a stroke. But the deepest need for healing lies in the rift between mother and daughter. God can perform such a miracle. But first Celia and Mama must let go of the past—before it destroys them both.

When Celia Mathews’ father suffers a stroke, she must return to the town where she grew up and face a past that, for seventeen years, she’s tried hard to leave behind.

Though not your traditional romance, Color the Sidewalk for Me is a story about love. It covers almost all the kinds of love relationships that can exist, and the complexities involved with them. It is a coming of age story, about a young girl finding love...and losing. And then, of overcoming anger and past hurts, and discovering the path to forgiveness and ultimate contentment.

This is a book I want to read over and over again. There are no fantastic car chases, buildings exploding, or bodies turning up dead. But Brandilyn Collins has formulated her characters so well that I really cared about them and could not stop reading. I just had to find out what was going to happen to Celia and her mother, or Celia and her love, Danny.

This is a Christian book, and though it is not a light-hearted read, there is no sex or gratuitous violence, and it is appropriate for women of any age. In fact, there is a spirit of emotional and spiritual healing throughout the book that anyone who reads it, male or female, could benefit from even if they don’t face the same problems as Celia. I highly recommended it.



Reviewed by Violet

16 comments:

Estella said...

Sounds like a good read.

V. said...

It sounds like a book that will cause you to reflect over your own relationships. Sounds good!

Karen H in NC said...

Sounds good

Allie Boniface said...

Sounds like a great one, definitely worth checking out!

jean said...

This looks like just my kind of book. I am putting this one on my to buy list for sure!

Nathalie said...

BEST BOOK!

Wow!!

Lily said...

Sounds good... and it is achristian romance... I will try it!

~ Brandilyn Collins said...

Violet, thanks for contacting me and letting me know you reviewed my novel. I appreciate your time.

SIDEWALK was published in 2001. I have written many novels since then. But it still remains one of my favorites. I have received many, many letters from readers who, through the story, found the courage to try and heal broken emotional relationships in their own lives. Many of these letters have brought tears to my eyes. It's very gratifying to know a novel of mine, more than just offering a satisfying read, can help change a reader's life.

Blessings.

anne said...

Wonderful novel which would be lovely to read.

jenna said...

Sounds emotional and heartwringing.

Jennifer Y. said...

This sounds like a lovely read! I have a couple of Brandilyn Collins's books in the TBR Mountain, but not this one.

Dev said...

This sounds very good ~ I hadn't heard of this author before, but I'll keep my eye out for this book.

diane said...

Am interested in trying this book which sounds different.

pearl said...

Great novel which would provide depth and insight.

Sue A. said...

This one would be a book from an author new to me. I'm always open to finding new authors.

windycindy said...

What a fascinating book this sounds like. Thanks,Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com