Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Review: A Girl, A Guy, And A Ghost

A Girl, A Guy, And A Ghost
by Sherrie Kelley

A GIRL: Traci Nettleton is in seventh heaven when Brad Davidson, the gorgeous quarterback on the football team asks her out. Then she gets a mysterious e-mail that threatens to ruin everything.

A GUY: Brad loves hanging out with Traci. She’s cute, smart, and funny. But she seems a little jumpy around him lately. Is she hiding something?

A GHOST: How can Traci be getting e-mails from her best friend who died two years ago? Is someone playing a cruel joke, or does Corky really need her help? Traci plans to find out – her new romance with Brad depends on it.


I loved the premise of this story. I've only just started reading much YA and jumped on this one the moment is was offered. I wasn't sorry I did.

The author has a great voice for YA. Her teen characters were perfectly drawn, and believeable. I do have to admit that Brad was a little too perfect, but what a dreamy guy to have as a hero.

Traci is already having a rough time--Her mom and dad have divorced and her mother embarrasses her on a regular basis. Her best friend is a little on the silly side, her previous best friend drowned just a couple years before and she has a crush on the quarterback.

But when weird messages start showing up on her computer that can only be from her long-dead friend, Corky, it really sends her into a tailspin. Worse, there are dozens of messages and they all say the same thing: Can you come over today?

Scared? Traci was...

I had such fun reading about Corky's pranks and 'big brother' protection of Traci, of Traci helping Corky with the problems he was facing, and of Traci trying to establish a relationship with Brad while Corky watched (and sometimes did more than watch!).

I did feel like the reason Corky's dad had left the family was a little over the top for such a light, fluffy book, but it didn't ruin my enjoyment one bit.

Sherrie Kelley has a great voice for YA, and I hope she decides to write more. I'll be on the lookout.



Review by Poppy

16 comments:

Estella said...

I have never read YA. This one sounds interesting.

Allie Boniface said...

The title of this book alone is a great reason to pick it up!

Dev said...

I want to get this one for Kiddo. That way I can borrow it when she's done :-)

Karen H in NC said...

YA doesn't interest me...too old I guess. But, if I knew someone of an age who would enjoy this genre, I would buy this book for that person.

diane said...

I am interested in reading this book. Sounds great.

Nathalie said...

I don't think this book appeals to me... it must be the e-mails... I don't feel drawn to them in books!

windycindy said...

Hello! The title is fascinating. I have a young teen niece that I know would love to read it. Thanks,Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

Deborah said...

Interesting concept; while I'm past this genre/age group, it seems geared towards today's girl!

anne said...

I would definitely give this book a try. Thanks for this review.

Lily said...

This book seems nice, though I don't think I would buy it...

V. said...

As an educator, I know the need for books that will get kids reading. This sounds great for the girl who has a crush she probably won't realize. That's what books are for--escaping to the land where everything is possible.

Sue A. said...

I read some great books in my teens. It looks like I'm missing out on a lot of great books.

Dru said...

This one sounds interesting.

KimW said...

I think my niece would enjoy this one.

Happy reader said...

Thank for the review - a great possibilty for my neice.

Kimberly L said...

This one sounds really great. THe title and the excerpt are great.