Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Review: Cotillion

Cotillion
by Georgette Heyer

A most unusual hero

Freddy is immensely rich, of course, and not bad looking, but he's mild-mannered, a bit hapless-- not anything like his virile, handsome, rakish cousin Jack...

A heroine in a difficult situation

Young Kitty Charing stands to inherit a vast fortune from her irascible and eccentric guardian-- provided she marries one of his great-nephews...

A sham betrothal

No sooner does Kitty arrive in London than the race for her hand begins, but between confirmed rakes and bumbling affections, Kitty needs a daring scheme...

Cotillion is, arguably, one of Georgette Heyer's most charming Regency romance. Georgette Heyer was one of the authors who introduced me to Regencies, and her magic is still alive today.

Kitty and Freddy, who concoct a scheme to get her into London and away from her guardian, fall into more and more complicated schemes as cousins, thwarted love, and elopements enter the picture.

The subplots are varied, but all add to the wonder that is Kitty and Freddy. The ends are woven so skillfully together the reader is drawn into the intrigues and the maneuverings by these two as they attempt to help their family and friends on the course to true love...while gaining a mutual appreciation themselves.

I recommend this book highly, especially if you've not read any Heyer before. It's lighter than some of her other works and not as ponderous. It's a very good introduction to the woman who has been credited with inventing the historical romance and creating the entire subgenre of the Regency romance. Her works are historically accurate and are full of details of the era. If you are interested in the Regency time period, you could do worse than read Georgette Heyer.



Review by Rose

ENTER TO WIN A COPY OF THIS BOOK -- JUST LEAVE A COMMENT ON THIS POST BETWEEN 1/14/08 - 1/18/08-- DRAWING TO BE HELD ON 1/19/08. GOOD LUCK!

NOTE: If you have a private Blogger profile with no email address available, you must include an email in your entry -- this is how we inform the winner. If we are unable to locate an email for you, you're ineligible to win this prize. Thanks!



25 comments:

Lesha said...

Thanks for the giveaway :)

LilacButterfly [at] earthlink.net

Meljprincess said...

Can you believe it? I've never read a book by Georgette Heyer. This book appeals to me greatly! Please enter me in this contest. I hope it's the first of her books that I read and not the last.

Melissa Keith
Meljprincess at aol dot com

limecello said...

Woohoo! Who doesn't love free books?
(I'm not sure what's in my profile now so...
lin [dot] jennifer [dot] s [at] gmail [dot] com
:-P pretty much takes the mystery out of it, doesn't it :-P

Jennifer Y. said...

I have never read this particular Heyer book.

Freesia said...

This sounds like a fun book, especially for historical romance.

Karen H in NC said...

I've never read Georgette Heyer's work before. This book sounds like a good place to start.

byrd_luvr[at]hotmail.com

dodo said...

Count me in. I've never read a Heyer book, but I love the Regency period :)

peggy said...

this book sounds like a terrfic
read

Maureen said...

I've read several of her books but never this one.
mce1011[at]aol.com

windycindy said...

Hello! What a wonderful sounding story and I love the time period! Please enter me in your drawing for this book. Thanks,Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

Bebemiqui said...

I'd love to read this book :0)

bebemiqui82 (at) yahoo (dot) com

Tara said...

I'm always up for a new book!

Pam P said...

I loved reading Heyer's books so many years ago, but sadly lost all my originals one year during a move. It's been so long, I've been getting a few again for re-reading, but not this one yet, so love to get it.

Frederica was one of my favorites I remember, which I re-read last year, another recommended one for those new to Heyer.

Charity said...

I'm sorely unschooled when it comes to Heyer. Please include me!

BethRe said...

Very pretty cover

V. said...

I admit I'm not much for historical romances, but your review and the book's blurb combine to draw me right in! Thanks. :o)

Nathalie said...

I love G. Heyer but have not read this one!

Lily said...

This book is really nice... I have once borrowed it from the library :)

V. said...

Rose...Just wanted to let you know that your review stuck with me long after I left my original comment, so I found myself searching for information on this writer. I had no idea she died in the early seventies, or that her work was so popular. Thank you for turning me onto a new writer I otherwise might not have known existed.

Estella said...

I've read a lot of Heyer books, so know I will enjoy this one.

kissinoak at verizon.net

Dena said...

I've never read a book by her either. It sounds like a great story with a different take than the usual regency.I would definitely love this book.

bamabelle said...

I recently read my first Georgette Heyer book, The Devil's Cub, and I loved it! Please enter me in the drawing. I would love to read more of her books. She is amazing! zarache@aol.com

anne said...

I would enjoy reading this Heyer book. All of hers are great and I enjoy this type of story and the period as well. Great writing.

tetewa said...

I have The Spanish Bride on it's way to me in the mail and would love to add this one to my collection also! tWarner419@aol.com

ruth said...

I would love to read this Georgette Heyer book. I have read a few and they are wonderful.