Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, January 28, 2008

Review: The Undead Next Door

The Undead Next Door
by Kerrelyn Sparks

Three signs that something is very different with your mew man:

1. He sleeps all day . . . which would be annoying except he's so attentive at night.

2. He's attacked by sword-wielding assailants, yet insists he can handle it on his own.

3. He never seems to age.

Heather Westfield has always lived a quiet life, but that all changes when she helps a very handsome, very mysterious stranger. There's something not quite right about Jean-Luc, but still, she's never been with a man so charming, so attractive . . . so wonderful. Now if only a murderous villain wasn't after them, they might get their happily-ever-after.

This was my second vampire novel by Kerrelyn Sparks, and I have to say that she hasn't disappointed me yet. The author has a wicked sense of humor that shows up throughout the entire novel.

I enjoyed our heroine, Heather -- a fiesty, plump and creative woman who wasn't afraid to stand up for herself. Her attitude intrigues our hero, a famous fashion designer named Jean-Luc Escharpe, first because she insults his clothing designs and claims she can do better, and then just because he's not often challenged by anyone. The problem is, he's in her little podunk town to go into hiding for 25 years, before coming back as his "son", since people can't seem to understand why he hasn't aged at all the past fifty years or so.

Unfortunately, Jean-Luc's enemy, Lui, sees them together and assumes they are lovers and vows to murder Heather in order to upset Jean-Luc. Suddenly, Heather is forced to accept the protection of a group of men (many in kilts!) she's never met, to protect her, her daughter, and her daughter's nanny.

Along the way, she's starts suspecting that there is something a little...off...about Jean-Luc and his friends. I chuckled at her original assumption!

And, oh! What a hoot! Jean-Luc deals with Heather's nasty, abusive ex-husband in a most creative way that I could see so clearly. It still makes me smile to think of it.

Ms. Sparks did a marvelous job creating a strong (sometimes too strong... her stubborness got her into trouble a time or two) and REAL heroine who stands up for her right to be a size twelve amongst the size zero models she finds herself surrounded by. She's proud of who she is and what she's accomplished. As well she should be.

The secondary characters are equally as colorful, and I enjoyed revisiting many of the people from previous books in this one. It's always wonderful to visit old friends again.

The way she handled the heroine's slow realization that the man she had the hots for wasn't entirely human was amazingly well done. And amusing. Heather realizes that Jean Luc is some type of immortal, but her guesses about just what he is runs the gamut...except for a vampire.

If you're looking for a chuckle and a hot romance, this is the book for you, especially if you've read the other books in this series.



Review by Poppy

ENTER TO WIN AN AUTOGRAPHED ADVANCE REVIEW COPY (ARC) OF THIS BOOK -- JUST LEAVE A COMMENT ON THIS POST BETWEEN 1/24/08 - 1/26/08-- DRAWING TO BE HELD ON 1/27/08. GOOD LUCK!

NOTE: If you have a private Blogger profile or a profile with no email address available, you must include an email in your entry -- this is how we inform the winner. If we are unable to locate an email for you, you're ineligible to win this prize. Thanks!

19 comments:

BethRe said...

Sounds like a great read

tetewa said...

This is my favorite genre to read. She would be a new author for me and sounds like a great read. tWarner419@aol.com

Bree said...

Sounds like a great book!

windycindy said...

Please enter me in this contest. I love the sound of this book! All is appreciated.....Cindi
jchoppes[[at]hotmail[dot]com

Reeva said...

looks like a good book.. i hope i win!

Karen H in NC said...

Kerrelyn Sparks writes with such good humor...gotta have this one. Please enter me in the draw.

Karen H in NC said...

OOPS! sorry, forgot to leave my email address in my post.

byrd_luvr [at] hotmail.com

Meljprincess said...

I really enjoy Kerrelyn Sparks's vampire novels and would love to win this one. Thanks.

Melissa Keith
Meljprincess @ aol dot com

Estella said...

Sparks books are great!

kissinoak at verizon.net

Cathy said...

This is my favorite genre too, and I would love to read this book.


cathy m
caity_mack@yahoo.com

Sue A. said...

One of my favorite genres! I would love this book.

Mona said...

Sounds great :-)

monamhassan@hotmail.com

blackroze37 said...

o i so want this book!!!!!! please enter me
blackroze37@yahoo.com

catslady said...

It sounds wonderful - please enter me too!

catslady5@aol.com

Karen said...

Please enter me. You had me at handsome! :)

nerakdunbar@sbcglobal.net

Pam P said...

Oooh yes, enter me, please. Her series definitely entertain and make you laugh.

Dena said...

I love Kerrelyn's Undead series, she is so humorous and the characters are charming. I would love to win this book,but if I don't I certainly will be buying it!

Sarita Leone said...

I have not read anything by this author but have heard only good things. Hmm... *sigh* ...another author to be added to my want-to-read list, LOL!

Joan said...

Just started reading Vampire novels. I know I will like this one. Please enter me.