Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, November 8, 2010

Sucks to Be Me by Kimberly Pauley



Sucks to Be Me by Kimberly Pauley
Publisher: Mirrorstone
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Contemporary
Length: Full Length (304 pgs)
Heat Level: Sweet
Rating: 4.5 books
Reviewed by Orange Blossom

My parents are freaks. Sure, every teenager says that. But I know for a fact mine are bloodsucking vampire freaks. As if high school wasn't bad enough, now I have to go to vampire classes with a bunch of weirdos who actually want to drink blood.Then there's my complete inability to talk in complete sentences around cute boys. (Especially Nathan. He probably thinks I've got a speech impediment or something.) And I can't tell my best friend Serena about any of this. But the absolute worst thing is that the whole world is about to find out what happened when my parents forced me to decide whether I want to be a vampire! Please don't read this book. It's just embarrassing.

Of all the teen literature I’ve read this year, Sucks to Be Me by Kimberly Pauley has to be one of the most enjoyable. Absolutely loved it.

If you're into the whole vampire genre, you'll enjoy it too because it shows the lighthearted side to being a vampire. I enjoyed the voice of Mina, the lead character. She has a sense of humor even at her own expense. Though she doesn’t always make the best choices, you still like her because she seems genuine. Because of the likability of the heroine, I found the book much more interesting to read than Bella from Twilight. Ms. Pauley's writing is sharp, fun, active. A great read all around!

There are some great lines in this book that made me laugh out loud. At the beginning of each chapter, a vampire myth is given with Mina’s take on the actuality of the statement. For example:

Myth: a stake through the heart will kill a vampire.
Truth: well duh, it would kill anyone.

The version of vampirism in this book is much more controlled and organized. Vampires don't just rip into their prey willy-nilly and you can't turn someone to the other side at whim. There are rules, procedures, a bureaucracy, etc. It’s not as dark as some vampire literature. For me, it was a good version and perfect for the YA reader. I look forward to reading the sequel.

No comments: