Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Under a Halloween Moon by Beverly Breton



Under a Halloween Moon by Beverly Breton
Publisher: The Wild Rose Press
Genre: Contemporary, Holiday
Length: Short Story (44 pgs)
Heat Level: sweet
Rating: 4 books
Reviewed by Tiger Lily

Single mother Annika lives a safe existence centered around her five-year-old daughter, a little imp who is growing up faster than Annika wants to admit. Cameron is a widower working constant overtime to cover for a partner on leave, which leaves no time for his five-year-old daughter, let alone a social life.

But then Cameron has no interest in the women focused on his long eyelashes, the fit of his jeans, and the size of his paycheck, and Annika has steered clear of the turmoil of relationships ever since her divorce. Are the two destined to remain single? Perhaps…

Until the Halloween moon when Cameron crosses paths with the bewitching single mother of his daughter’s best friend, and a weekend of mischief, masquerade and magic convinces Annika to take a chance on love.

Who knew Halloween could be the season for miracles?

I love a sweet short story. This one is no exception. Beverly Breton writes simple, sugary sweet stories that warm the heart. The writing in this book is tight and had me glued to my seat for the duration. I couldn’t put it down. Keeping in mind it’s a short story, the details are a tad thin, but it really didn’t take away from the book as a whole. Keeping it simple kept the book light and kept me guessing what would happen next. There are more than a couple plot twists I didn’t expect and I’m glad they happened as they did.

Annika, the heroine, is wonderful. A single mom, rife with loneliness and a bit of heartache, just wants that one special man to make her heart light. She’s relatable. I felt like I was in her shoes watching the world happen, her little girl grow, and wondering if love still existed. Although there were times when I thought she got a bit too down on herself, I liked her. She came across very human and easy to identify with.

This story is told Annika’s point of view, so the hero was a little harder to grasp. Cameron is overworked and overstressed. He’s a great single father, but he knows there’s so much more he can do. I had a hard time really knowing how he felt about Annika because we’re in her head the whole time, but I got the vibe that he liked her and wanted to know about her. I felt the connection between them immediately and wanted to know where it was going next.

The little girls, without doubt, make the story. Mindy and Livvy are hilarious because they have their own very individual opinions on things and are very plain in stating their feelings. Livvy has some great one-liners.

If you want a simple, sweet little Halloween tale, then this is the book for you. I give Under a Halloween Moon 4 books.

No comments: