Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, April 25, 2011

Semi-Sweet by Roisin Meaney



Semi-Sweet by Roisin Meaney
Publisher: Hachette Book Group
Genre: Contemporary
Length: Full Length (372 pgs)
Heat Level: sensual
Rating: 3.5 books
Reviewed by Tiger Lily

Hannah Robinson is just about to open the doors to her new shop Cupcakes on the Corner when out of the blue her boyfriend Patrick announces that he's leaving her for another woman. Faced with starting a business on her own, Hannah begins to wonder if her life-long dream has just turned into a nightmare. So her best friend Adam sets his birthday as a deadline - seven months to make her shop a success, or walk away from it all. And as Hannah immerses herself in her new business, she soon discovers that she's too busy to think about Patrick and his now pregnant girlfriend.

Goal: Operate Cupcake shop
Timeline: Seven Months
Glitches: more than enough to count
Can it be done?

Hannah is about to open the doors to her little bakery. But things aren’t going as smoothly as she’d planned. There’s more than a couple glitches. And then there’s Alice. Talk about a lot to take in...this book certainly packs a punch.

I have to admit, the blurb snagged me. I wanted to read about Hannah and her shop. What I got was a lot more. Roisin Meaney writes in a very frantic yet fluid style. There’s a lot going on in this book. I laughed, I cried, I hoped for some characters to get together, some to break up, and others to just move on. From page one, I was totally involved in the story.

I liked Hannah. She’s realistic. She’s got problems and not all the answers. I wanted to see her get her HEA, or at least for her shop to open and make her happy. The way she deals with life is something I want to read again and again.

With that said, there are a lot of characters in this book. The dual plotlines, though intertwined, can be more than a little confusing. I found myself having to go back more than once to read and reread to make sure I didn’t miss anything. I also found myself frustrated with more than one character—but that’s a good thing. It showed I was emotionally involved in the story.

I didn’t want this book to end.

If you want a book that will make you smile, cry, and giggle, then you need to read Semi-Sweet I give it 3.5 books.

No comments: